From: rafael seguis
Date: Wed, May 21, 2014 at 5:11 PM
Subject: Re: Suggestions – MERS CoV Victim: Nurse XXX AA- ??? Jeddah
To: Ezzedin Tago , Norman Garibay
Cc: Louie Alferez , Labatt Resty POLO RIYADH , Red Genotiva , Winston Almeda , Joseph Henry Espiritu
The suggestions below of Joseph are worth looking into. -URES
From: Joseph Henry Espiritu ;
To: Loreto B. Soriano ; norman garibay ; Leo Tito Jr Ausan ; Franklin Resma ; Rafael Seguis ; Jun RasulCc: Ezzedin Tago ; Monina Regachuelo ; Maxxy Fe Santiago ; roland blanco ;
Subject: Re: Suggestions – MERS CoV Victim: Nurse XXX AA- ??? Jeddah
Sent: Wed, May 21, 2014 11:19:45 AM
Dear Amba Tago,
Salam sir, while the embassy is coordinating with the family of the late XXX A; you may consider our suggestions below.
This is not only for the family of the late XXX AA but for the families of the medical workers who might be the next MERs victims.
In my previous email, we suggested for our embassy to inquire with the Ministry of Labor, the Ministry Of Health and the GOSI.
Who to talk to?
The head of all these three (3) Government agencies is Minister Adel Al Fakeih. He is the newly appointed Minister of Health while he is still the Minister of Labor. Since he is the Minister of Labor then by law he is the Chairman of the Board of GOSI.
What to Inquire?
If the death of the medical workers caused by MERs can be considered as work related death which the bereaved family has the right to receive death benefits from GOSI – OHB which is equivalent to 84 months basic salary.
The Social Insurance Law Explained
GOSI – OHB – Death Benefits for Work Related Death as per the Social
Chapter I : SOCIAL INSURANCE BRANCHES AND DEFINITIONS
1. This Law shall be called “Social Insurance Law” and shall constitute the following insurance branches :
a. Occupational Hazards Branch which provides benefits in cases of employment injuries
b. Annuities Branch which provides benefits in cases of non-occupational disability, old-age, and death.
2. The insurance branches constituted hereunder may be extended to provide other kinds of benefits in accordance with the statutory methods.
Chapter II : SCOPE OF APPLICATION
ARTICLE (4) With due regard to the provisions of Articles (5) and (6), the Occupational Hazards Branch and the Annuities Branch shall apply according to the following details :
1. The Occupational Hazards Branch shall be compulsorily applied to all workers without any discrimination as to sex, nationality or age.
2. The Annuities Branch shall be compulsorily applied to all Saudi workers without any discrimination as to sex, provided that the covered worker shall be under 60 years of age upon his initial coverage under the Law. Where a worker, who has been previously covered by the Social Insurance Law, has re-engaged in an employment subject to the Law at age 60 or over, he shall be treated as follows:
Occupational Hazards Injury/Disease
Definition of the occupational injury
The injury is considered an occupational injury in any of the following cases:
1. Accident sustained by the contributor during work or from which it resulted.
2. Accident sustained by the contributor on his way from his residence to his place of work and vice versa, or while en route from his place of work to the place where he eats his meals or perform his prayers and vice versa.
3. Accident sustained by the contributor during his movements in order to perform the tasks entrusted to him by the employer.
4. Any disease sustained by the contributor found to be caused by work.
5. Any disease sustained by the contributor specified in the table of occupational diseases (????).
Benefits of the Occupational Hazards Branch
e. Lump sum compensation paid to a non-Saudi contributorIn the event that the non-Saudi contributor sustains a work injury, he will be compensated with a lump sum instead of a benefit as follows:-
If the injury resulted in a permanent total disability (100%), the injured is entitled to a lump sum compensation of 84 months of the benefit value, which he was supposed to receive it up to a maximum of S.R. 330,000. The calculation of the compensation takes into account the amount of the assistance of others allowance decided by the competent medical board.-
If injury resulted in a partial disability with a percentage of 50% to 99%, the injured is entitled to a lump sum compensation equivalent to 60 months from the value of the assumed benefit up to a maximum of S.R. 165,000.-
If the injury resulted in the death of the contributor, his family members receive a lump sum compensation equivalent to 84 months. It is calculated on the basis of the benefit, which he was supposed to receive up to a maximum of S.R. 330,000. It is equally distributed among the family members.
f. Expenses of preparing and transporting of bodyGOSI bears all the expenses for the transport of the body of the contributor who dies as a result of an employment injury or the deceased recipient of a permanent disability benefit, to his home country.
Who are not covered by GOSI – OHB ?
1. Excepted from coverage by the insurance provided for in the Law are:
a. Civil servants and members of the armed forces and the police, who are covered under the retirement pension plans for the civil servants and military personnel.
b. Foreign employees working in foreign international or diplomatic or military missions
c. Workers employed in agricultural, forestry, or pastoral works, and save for these subject to the Labour and Workmen Law and those employed in state bodies and semi-state bodies as well as those employed in private establishments and companies which satisfy the criteria and controls prescribed by the Regulations.
d. Sea-men including the sea-fishermen, save for those subject to the Labour and Workmen Law, as well as those employed in the marine establishments and companies and fishing companies which satisfy the criteria and controls prescribed by the Regulations.
e. Domestic servants.
f. Foreign workers who come to the Kingdom to engage in works which usually take no more than three months to complete, and the Regulations shall prescribe the works intended for the purposes of this provision.
g. Artisans (workers working in their homes)
h. Employer’s family members who work in the family firms where no workers other than these are employed.
Nevertheless, any of those referred to in sub-paragraphs (g) and (h) above, may request to benefit form the provisions of this Law as provided by paragraph (4) of Article (4).
2. Some or all of the categories mentioned in sub-paragraphs (c), (d) and (e) of the preceding paragraph may be covered under the Law, by decision of the Minister, on the approval of the Board of Directors and in accordance with the provisions of Article (6).
On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 11:28 AM, Joseph Henry Espiritu wrote:
Dear USEC Seguis, Amba Tago, Congen Garibay and Consul Leo Ausan
Please find ka Lito’s Soriano’s email below about OFW Nurse XXX AA who died in Jeddah today.
Idinugtong ko rin sa thread na ito ang naunang Request for Assistance Letter from Ka Frank Resma
Isasama ko na rin ang request na gusto kong madagdag.
1. Ka Frank Resma – Request for Assistance on the repatriation of Remains
2. Ka Lito Soriano – Inquiry and request for documentation of the fate of the late XXX
3. Joseph Espiritu – inquire with the Hospital Admin, MOH or GOSI, if this can be considered as work related death.. which the bereaved family has the right to receive a death benefits from GOSI – OHB which is equivalent to 84 months basic salary.
Inna Lillahi wa Inna Ilayhi Rajiun!
Thank you so much and God bless us all always,
2014-05-19 10:59 GMT+03:00 Loreto B. Soriano :
Dear Ambassador Tago,
Kaisa po ako ng Patnubay, Poea, Pebaat ang Philippine Embasssy/POLO sa pagsulong at pagtulong sa mga kapwa OFW na in distress.
Ako at ang LBS Recruitment SolutionsAy humihingi ng tulong sa aring embahadapara malaman at madocumentuhanang sinapit ng deployed namin na Nurse Ms XXX AA noong April 14, 2012.
Nabatid namin sa mga kakilala niya through Facebookna nagkasakit siya ng MERS CoV noongApril at ayon sa jlat nila ay pumanawna kahapon ng umaga.
Hindi pa po sinagot ng hospitalang email letter namin inquiring for officialconfirmation and details about Ms XXX.
Handa po ang opisina namin na tumulongsa nangulilang pamilya ni Ms XXX atsa Embahada.
Loreto B. Soriano
LBS Recruitment Solutions(Dating OCW Riyadh 1980-85
Begin forwarded message:
From: Hans Cacdac
Date: May 18, 2014 at 3:42:04 PM GMT+8
To: Linda Baldoz , Doc Irma Asuncion , Loreto Soriano , “Dr. Lyndon Lee Suy”
Ma’am, as reported po by Lito Soriano via Facebook,
we will forward to Doc Irma Asuncion and Doc Lyndon of DOH po and coordinate further with Lito.
Sent from my iPad
———- Forwarded message ———-
From: Franklin Resma
Date: Sun, May 18, 2014 at 9:57 PM
Subject: FYI – 1 PINAY NURSE NG ??? PATAY DAHIL SA MERS-COV
To: Uriel Norman Garibay Cc: Joseph Henry Espiritu , rafael seguis
Dear ConGen Norman:
Please be advised isang pinay ng ??? Medical Staff Nurse patay dahil sa MERS-COV.
The family request assistance for the repatriation of her remains.
Name : XXX AAAAoo,
Address : xxxxxx
Next of Kin : xxxxxxxx
Contact : xxxxxxx
Frank+966 56 313 9406
Conversation started today
Frank Resma 8:59pm
Hi gud evening
XXX BBBBB 9:02pm
Hi frank. Gud evening
Frank Resma 9:07pm
Id like to verify info
From a friend jun
I told him this morning
Frank Resma 9:11pm
Our dear colleague just died this morning in king fahad due to mers-cov. She was working here in ??? but they transferred her to King fahad a week ago. She got the virus fr one of our patients here fr king fahad if you remember his name sameen. I read it in the arab news about his death. He died here in ???. He’s a Lab tech fr fahad but i don’t know why he came here for treatment.
may i have ur colleague’s name
XXX AAAAoo po
naabisuhan na ba ang consulate?
I’m not sure frank
sorry for ur loss
may i have her details, and will advise congen garibay now
I was fr nyt duty when we heard the news. They announced this morning in our department
— Frank Resma
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia+966 56 313 9406-
Also posted in Patnubay Online FB Page