What is A C F I L ?
Name & Nature:
ACFIL- the “Associazione Culturale Filippina del Piemonte” has been established since May 16, 1996, with the legal seat in Piazzale Costantino il Grande, 168-10134 Torino c/o Ing. Luigi Sandrucci. The point of aggregation is at Via Morgari 14,Torino. ACFIL is non Political, non-partisan and non-profit organization, with indefinite duration, regulated by the Italian civil code and the organization’s statutes.
The first statutes was prepared by Fr. Ronald Lunas, Sister Trining Calderon & Minda Teves in English and was translated in Italian by Ing. Sandrucci. After 3 years of existence of the association, the body decided to amend the statutes the present one, under the administration of Susan Camitan year 2000.
- Stands for Bayanihan spirit, the 2 flags represent Italy and the Philippines, the people stands for Filipino Diaspora, 8 rays stands for the service arms and the hut for solidarity.
Aims and Objectives:
- The organization aims at strengthening solidarity among Filipinos in the region, so that they can promote their native culture, work for integration-Survival within the Italian society, organize working and social activities and enhance their mental, physical and spiritual capacities in order to render effective services to those in need.
The MOTIVATION TO START A FORMAL GROUP:
While informal meetings were taking place, a Filipina worker, and a friend was summoned to the emergency hospital and died. The employer didn’t knew whom -who to contact at that time though the Centro Filipino that was ran by the Agustinian nuns existed already. Only after 3 days that the Filipina’s situation was being known to the community, the tragic incident have united the interested OFW’S leaders, that they have to do something to make an identity and become visible in the Municipality of Turin that will serve as a reference for their co nationals and to the host country as well.
How did ACFIL started ?
- It was November 1995, when a family from Mindanao together with their close friends frequented the nun’s place and through direct contacts with the nuns, they learned that the place is to be retrieved by the Municipality of Turin if there’s no existing activity in that particular place, and the nuns will be sent back to the Philippines. So, in order to activate the place, the group made a “brainstorming” as to identify the needs of the Filipinos at large.
- The first need at that time of the community was the lack of a place of worship where Filipinos can exercise their faith and can comprehend better. So, this informal group tried to organize a “Tagalog mass” inviting Filipino priest from Rome at the expense of some generous Filipinos to officiate Sunday mass in the nuns place. Other activities followed by Aerobics administered by some volunteer just for the sake of being together and to belong together.
- In that same year, the group increased in numbers and so with the needs of OFW’S, so, they decided to look for a bigger place to accommodate the mass goers and they found San Dalmazzo church in Via Garibaldi, then they moved to Del Carmine Church, then to San Giuseppe Church located at via Santa Teresa and finally to San Giovanino church under the Salesian.
- While the religious functions increased, the cultural activities came in, folkdances were being taught to the interested youths and the presence of these young adults encouraged the group to have it formalized. It was then established with its notary’s act last May 16, 1996. After a year of existence, ACFIL was registered in the book of Associations in the Municipality of Turin. From there on ACFIL never stopped working.
The body of ACFIL
- Its officers will act as the Executive Committee. They will present project to the different institutions and transact agreement in favour of the associations objectives.
The service arms:
- Acts as Community of Co-Responsible to all church activities of the Filipino Chaplaincy and supports all activities of ACFIL. Presently the said services stopped due to work related reasons.
- Organizes different community activities like; Halloween, valentine’s party, Mother’s day, Father’s day, Christmas party, carolling, camping and attends to National Youth conferences. Promotes activities to empower other youths in the community and outside.
ACFIL GENITORI e FIGLI
- Organizes parents & children’s symposia, field trips, family celebrations etc. Acts as mediator to other parents in difficulties. Supports all activities within the association.
ACFIL CULTURAL GROUP
- Acts as coordinator to all cultural activities of the association. They have participated to SINULOG at Vicenza, Verona and also the Celebration of the Independence day in Milan.
- Acts as sports coordinator within the Association pertaining sports and have organized indoor games & outdoor games for the members of the association.
ACFIL GALA (gallant labourer)
- Acts as feast coordinator (Birthdays, Baptism, Matrimony & other celebrations)
- Acts as project coordinator pertaining the Philippine history and the welfare of the Filipinos in the region. They have organized a seminar pertaining to INPS & ITS BENEFITS and also about PERMESSO DI SOGGIORNO A PUNTI. They have collaborated with the Philippine Consulate General in Milan to assist medical team to offer free check-up to Fil.wokers who have no time for check-up and especially those with no documents. Once or twice a year ACFIL facilitates also the Consular Service for the Filipinos.
THE PROJECTS OF ACFIL
- Drum & Lyre Corp (1998 up to the present) to show the American influence in the Philippines during their occupation. Participated the Identità e Differenza organized by the commune di Torino.
- (ACFIL INFORMA) started last 2002 up to the present to form and inform the Filipinos in the region regarding the political, social & migration issues especially to those who have the difficulty in comprehending the Italian language. This was financed by the Provincia di Torino for two years and the last 6 years, ACFIL continued the action independently due to the strong demand of the community taking out also the logo of the Provincia di Torino.
ENGLISH AND PILIPINO CLASS
- (RECUPERIAMO I COCCI) 2001-2003 a project directed to children from 6-12 years old especially those who don’t speak Pilipino and were born here to recover at least the disappearing language among Filipino children. The project was financed by the Comune di Torino.
FOOD TO HELP: BANCO ALIMENTARE:
- (2001 up to the present) Goods from Banco Alimentare distributed to the needy Filipino.
ACFIL participates yearly the voluntary “colletta alimentare” and whenever their presence is needed.
PROJECT LIGHT – LIGHT –Love, Insights, Give Humanity the Trust (2004-PRESENT)
1. TRIBUTE TO THE EMPLOYER ( Self-help among the members)
- 2004 to bridge the gap between employer/ employee relationship
2. I AND THE IMPORTANCE OF A FAMILY
- Essay writing contest 2004 (LIGHT) to identify the causes of the problems of the petitioned children who were separated to their parents for a longer period. Children who were born here and at early age sent back to the Philippines.
- (LIGHT) 2005 up to the present to encourage the re -productivity of the Filipino workers during their free time and to introduce to the Filipino children the different Filipino vegetables. The project was attained from the Comune the Torino through circoscrizione 6.
Conference about a FACE without a VOICE or a VOICE without a FACE?
We referred to the Filipino worker considered to be a silent worker and invisible and also to the children who were left behind in the place of origin, who only due to the distance were able to communicate by phone hearing the voice of the parents but just imagining their images or faces.
DESIGN YOUR FUTURE
- (CABLE) Essay writing contest 2007 Finance by Rotary club 45° parallel, to discover talents and to accompany the Youth to prepare their future.
SAVE A MIND PROJECT (IN COLLABORATION WITH ROTARY
- (SCHOLARSHIP GRANT) 2007-2010 to help the Youth to pursue their studies for their future.
GIOVANI FILIPPINI VERSO LA SOCIETA- 1 & 2: A project since 2007-2009 financed by the Compagnia di San Paolo directed to Filipino high school students/ University. To equipped them the knowledge about the journey of Migration towards the society and enlisting to be part of the servizio civile organized by the Assessor for the Politics for Integration ILDA CURTI. And instill to them the importance of education.
FINANCIAL LITERACY SEMINAR:
- An ongoing seminar financed by the Filipinos itself and other Italian friends. It is to maximize the gains and minimize the social cost of Philippine migration.
HOW DID ACFIL SURVIVED FOR ALMOST 15 YEARS ?
The joint forces to raise fund like search for Mr. &Miss Little ACFIL and “ a Song for You” somehow supported ACFIL to move on even in a small phase.
Considering the teenage years of ACFIL, after the birth pain and growth towards development what she is today is because of the strong determination of the people behind it to continue despite all odds together with their Italian friend who shared the same goal on where to put her in the final journey of which the 3rd or 4th generation will be proud of and a plus factor is the dynamic of a united group towards a collective action.
ACFIL WILL CONTINUE ITS JOURNEY TO BE OF SERVICE TO THOSE IN NEED AND WE ARE NOW IN THE PHASE OF ENTERING THE SOCIETY FOCUSING TO THE WELFARE OF OUR FILIPINO YOUTHS & TO THE FILIPINO WORKERS TOWARDS A BETTER FUTURE………
and to be able to realize all of these, we of ACFIL needs your FINANCIAL SUPPORT, TRUST, COLLABORATION,TIME& TALENT.
To accommodate all the activities forecasted by the Association we need a space we can call our own .
Prepared by: MINDA TEVES