We are demanding our government for transparency and accountability in the use of public money; but we should all realize that the first step to do this is to apply these within ourselves. In that way, we will be able to reduce corruption in the society and ultimately to stop it.
I write this article for ordinary people (like me) to understand the basic principles of transparency and accountability; and to apply these in our daily lives.
Transparency and accountability are two important elements of good governance. Transparency is a powerful force that, when consistently applied, can help fight corruption, improve governance and promote accountability. Accountability is the obligation of an individual or organization to account for its activities, accept responsibility for them, and to disclose the results in a transparent manner.
To whom are we transparent and accountable to?
1. Sources – (Donors)
2. Recipients – (Beneficiaries)
How do we apply Transparency and Accountability?
1. The donor must understand on what help to provide and to whom.
2. The beneficiary must understand on what help the donor will provide.
3. What is given by the donor must be received by the beneficiary whether as cash or as goods.
4. Proofs or Acknowledgments (receipts, signed acknowledgments, photos or videos)
5. Documentation or Report (accounting reports, case studies, email exchanges, photos or videos)
Call to Action
- Apply these principles in your daily life even for the very little things. Take note that corruption starts with little things.
- Promote these principles starting in your home, in your community, in your school, in your workplace and even in your church.
- Stay away from corrupt individuals and traditional politicians.
- Be blameless, be a leader with honest reputation.
- Join us in our HAGIT Project.
Simple Ways to Be Blameless
- Do not accept donations without the knowledge of the beneficiary.
- Do not accept monetary donations if you have financial problems. You can still help in some other ways.
- Do not accept donations in exchange for favors to the donor or from the beneficiary.
- As much as possible let the donor gives his donation directly to the beneficiary.
- If a donation is channeled through you, give it to the beneficiary as soon as possible.
- Apply the Principles of Transparency and Accountability
Examples of How Patnubay Applies Transparency and Accountability
1. Personal donation given directly to the beneficiary
In most cases, we give our personal donations directly to the beneficiary. We may not ask for signed acknowledgment receipts from the beneficiary. In handling distress cases, we pay for the translation fees, taxi fares, grocery goods, etc from our personal money. These will provide us with receipts of payment which we just keep as souvenirs for good deeds.
2. Personal donation given to the beneficiary, channeled through a servant leader
Donation of Difuntorum Family (Jeddah) for Mr. Alfredo Salmos through Ka Charles Tabbu
- Email – https://docs.google.com/VVU
- Acknowledgment Receipt – https://docs.google.com/eUk
3. Donations from groups directly given to one beneficiary
STC Jeddah and Elite Guardians for Mang Fred Salmos
- Acknowledgment Photos – https://docs.google.com/file/mRkU
4. Donations from individuals given to one beneficiary, channeled through a servant leader
Ka ronnie for Jose Marie Benicarlo (Abu Dhabi)
- Email Campaign https://docs.google.com/U2M
- Signed Email as receipt – https://docs.google.com/OUU
5. Donations from individuals given to a group beneficiary, channeled through Patnubay
STC – Riyadh Workers Help for 17 distressed workers
- Email and Signed Acknowledgment Receipt https://docs.google.com/OGM
- Video – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qs
6. Donations from individuals and groups to several beneficiaries (groups and indvididuals), channeled through Patnubay
Do they Still know its Christmas Project (2010)
- Project Documentation https://docs.google.com/YkU
- Signed Acknowledgment Receipts https://docs.google.com/ZVE
- Project Video Documentation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_w
SOP ng mga KAWATAN!